Monday, June 18, 2012

Even hell has a ray of sunshine....

Today was a great day for David.  I was able to witness his walking for the first time.  It is amazing to see his motivation and determination.  It is inspiring to watch.  Each step made me so happy.  Even though it was hard for him, he did it.  Each time he would rest I would tell him how great he was doing and how proud of him I was.  Then up he would go again.  It was great to watch.  After that I encouraged him to rest a bit.  After a short nap, we decided it was time to shave his head and beard.  Over the past 14 days his hair started to grow back in patches...so I knew he would feel better if he shaved.  It is crazy that I never thought I'd be shaving anything other than my own legs and armpits...but here I was today shaving his head, cheeks, neck....and praying at the same time that I wouldn't cut him because he has no platelets and will bleed.  Gosh can you imagine..."excuse me nurse, I was shaving my husband and he's bleeding.."  OMG...that's the first thing they tell you...no platelets then no razors...and me the rebel bringing a razor to shave him.  LOL.
It was great to see his face all clean shaved and it made him feel better.  I even go a sweet smile...something that I have missed over the course of the last 14 days.
It was a hard day for me because I decided I needed to do a little something for myself.  One year ago I started running and today I had to get out there and run a little....3.7 miles little... It felt great and helped me destress alittle.  I also went and had lunch with my sweet kids who I have been neglecting the past 14 days.  It is hard to choose between helping David and hanging out with the kids. I never put myself first...I always choose David or the kids.  Today a friend of mine told me "you can't please everyone, so pick one person a day and please them."  So today, I picked the kids.  But in the end I think I helped David too by helping him shave.  This was great advice for me.  My friend was right...I will never be able to please everyone....so trying for one person might be all that I can handle right now.  Someday I will put myself on that list.
Today was a great day of meeting goals and celebrating them for myself, talking to my kids and seeing them smile, and watching my husband work to overcome an obstacle that he must tackle.  It was a great day!

1 comment:

  1. Your friend is so correct. It is hard to but, you have to think of yourself to in all of this.

    ReplyDelete