Tuesday, June 5, 2012
Round 2 of chemo
May 24th was weird...... It was the day David was starting his second round of chemo. The realm of the whole thing is crazy...2 months ago we were running the Warrior Dash, one month ago we were starting round one and here we R starting round 2. Life is crazy and can change in a flash.
So today we meet with Dr. Cortes. He asks us about the transplant situation and at that point we realize that's the leukemia doctor and the transplant doctor do not communicate at all. S David explains everything we know labour the status of the transplant. Once he does that then Dr. Cortes says that we have to start round 2.... Now the question is...inpatient or out patient. Secretly I am hoping for in patient. Even though it is hard to have David in the hospital it is easier in the sense that they handle the pain, the medication and any mess that many occur. But wonderful Dr. Cortes says we can do this out patient. Two bags will be given at the hospital and the longer bag can bar done at one and that I can disconnect it at home and he comes backs the next day. David agrees to this treatment. Although I am glad he is going to be coming home I am so scared about what I am going to be having to do.
So we go to the ATC Unit where they start the first bag. I am sitting in the room when they hook up the first bag when it hits me....nausea ....aOMG!!! Why am I the one who is getting sick. The first bag takes 30 minutes and by the time it is through I'm in the bathroom sick. During the 90 minute wait and bag 2 which was 30 minutes, I spent the entire time running back and forth to the bathroom. Why this hit me I have no idea, but I am supsr sick! David finish the bag and the nurse comes in and hooks up the pump for him to take home. She shows me what I need to do with it. We start the trek home...and the nausea begins. Poor thing is not doing well. Im wondering how long of an evening is it going to be?
.David has to go back on friday morning and Saturday. I'm glad it is memorial weekend, but I'm sad that we are spending the long weekend in amd out of the hospital.
Thursday night david isn't going so great. Andrew took him to hospital on Friday so I could go to work. This is a big deal cuz it is Andrews first time to drive that far plus it's rush hour traffic and he's in my car.
Andrew did great but was bored at the hospital. Not sure what he was expecting but..he said he just sat there and watch David sleep. Friday night was by far the worst night we have had. David got the hiccups and he just couldn't hold it anymore. He had a 45 minute session of throwing up. In my 15 years of teaching...my 17 years of parenting I have been around a lot of throw up....but NOTHING compares to chemo throw up. You can practically smell the radio active waste.... This was awful and there was nothing I could do to help David nor could I make home feel better. It was so hard to just sit there and only be able to give him a wash cloth. Once this was over I helped get him back to bed then cleaned up. Tomorrow we were going to watch andrew play football.SUMMER FOOTBALL...7 on 7 football. David scheduled his chemo for the afternoon so he could see Andrew play for a bit.
saturday was a long days. David stayed for half of the games then left to go the get the last 3 rounds of chemo while the kids and I stayed to watch andrew. It is crazy how we are juggling sports, kids, chemo and md Anderson....it is madness that this is even in our schedule. I keep thinking that I am going to wake up from this crazy dream... But I just don't wake up this is just one of those long slow moving dreams that ends up being reality.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment