Saturday, June 23, 2012
The first 24 hours home
I now know why people say they HATE cancer. Cancer takes a healthy person and riddles their body down to nothing. I have seen this transformation. I have seen what cancer has done...in a matter of 3 months cancer has taken a person I know and love and turned them into the shell of that person. I look at my husband and it is hard to believe what cancer has done to him. I hate cancer...I never thought I would say that. I hate it. I hate what cancer has done to to my husband, to me, to my kids...to our family.
Although I don't understand why we have been given this journey I know that we will overcome and that my husband will beat this. I know that one day my husband will be the person he was before cancer. I know that we will be stronger on the other side...all of us...my husband, me and especially my kids!!
So my husband has come home....he can berely walk, needs help with everything and yet MD Anderson felt that since he was done with his 14 days of antibiotics that he could come home....with no PT.....hello?? How do I help him get upstairs? Get around? Just do everyday things? Well if my 95 year old grandparents can do it...then so can I!
So, we are managing to do everyday things. David hates to ask for help, and I am learning when to ask and when to just do. I'm very impressed with all that he is motivated to do. It really is motivating. He wants to get back to what he was. It is so hard to watch. He has to first think about what he wants to do then after a few minutes of concentrating he does it. Why is it so much harder for an adult to re-learn to walk then it is for a toddler? His body aches....I don't remember the kids being so sore when they were learning......it is awful. It is cruel. It is painful to watch. But I put on my face and help him out. I try to not show my pain. I don't want him to see how much it breaks my heart to see what cancer has done to him. I can see it in his eyes though...he is not good at hiding it. I hope that I am better at it.
So we continue on ...because it is the JUST PRUITT way!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment