Tuesday, May 29, 2012

the verdict

April 15 was suppose to be about me...it was a milestone birthday...the big 40. The weekend was planned and Luckys Pub was in my future along with a bunch of Vegas bombs.... But the news we got 2 weeks before clouded the entire thing and still weighs on us in the back of our minds.  Sunday is about me and the kids shower me with love and gifts. But all I can think about is Monday at the dr.

April 16 will always be bleak for me. It's the day we find out David has MDS (myodyspasia syndrome)....a form of leukemia ...a form if cancer .  CANCER!!!  REALLY??  Tears fall down my face as the doctor is telling us. The understanding "fellow" stands up and goes to get a box of kleenex...really they don't just keep those handy in these rooms....these rooms where they give bad news to all the time???  Really??  I just turned 40 and my husband has cancer? What am I going to tell the kids?  How am I going to explain all of this that the doctor is telling us??  I write frantically in my little notebook, not looking up, not wanting to look at David or the doctor because I know I am going to break down even more.  The doctor continues by telling us that David was starting intensive chemo the next day. Black cloud, hurricane force winds..walls falling down around me...life changer. Hello 40!!  Hello Hell!
The doctor leaves us...in this room of bad news...in this hell he has just handed me.  David stands up and walks over to me and hugs me and says "it's OK.  I'm gonna be OK.  I can handle anything they give me."  Now I'm crying....sobbing....
Now it is time to call people.  David asks me to call everyone.  Who to call first....
His mom.............

The next 30 minutes go as predicted...lots of calls, lots of questions and me trying to hold it together for everyone else while I explain to them what is going on.

Now it's time to go home and tell the kids.........

No comments:

Post a Comment